The Top 10 Podcast Publishers ranking for January 2018 is now available at Podtrac.com.
Highlights of the January Publisher ranking include:
- US Unique Monthly Audience increased for six of the Top 10 publishers in January over December 2017 with HowStuffWorks showing the largest gain at 24%.
- iHeartMedia returns to the ranking at #6. iHeart left the ranking in November 2017 as they worked on a means to measure shows with Podtrac which are distributed via their website media player. As of the January ranking those shows distributed via their website media player are not included. iHeart continues to work on a solution to measure those shows with Podtrac .
- Total Global Unique Streams and Downloads for the group of Top 10 publishers is up 15% in January over December.
- Total Global Downloads and Streams for the Top 10 Publishers in January 2018 increased by 112% year-over-year from January of 2017.
The Top 10 Podcast Publishers and Top 20 Podcasts rankings for December 2017 are now available at Podtrac.com.
Highlights of the December Publisher ranking include:
- US Unique Monthly Audience declined for each of the Top 10 publishers in December over November.
- Total Global Unique Streams and Downloads for the group of Top 10 publishers is down 7% in December from November, consistent with behavior seen from November to December of 2016.
- Total Global Downloads and Streams for the Top 10 Publishers in December 2017 increased by 93% year-over-year from December of 2016.
Podtrac Rankings for October and November 2017 are revised (see below) to correct for a publisher’s use of preloads in its website players, which is inconsistent with IAB podcast measurement guidelines. Podtrac has implemented additional processes to prevent this in the future.
With increased download activity across all podcasts, the proliferation of new apps and the rise of new devices such as smart speakers, all which we believe will call for shorter podcast content in the coming months, this month Podtrac is publishing two podcast rankings: the Top Snackable Podcasts and the Top 20 Podcasts. The “snackable” list ranks podcasts whose average episodes are 10 minutes and less, while the Top Podcasts list ranks all podcasts over 10 minutes.
You’ll find both lists at Podtrac.com
Today’s publication of the November 2017 Top 10 Publisher Ranking marks Podtrac’s 20th month of providing this free industry resource. Later this month, you’ll receive our 16th Top 20 Podcast Ranking.
As usual you’ll find both rankings at Podtrac.com, and the Publisher Ranking is included below with highlights for the month. Additionally, we’ve included a few FAQ’s about how the rankings are produced which you can also find at Podtrac.com.
Podtrac Ranking FAQ’s
Which podcast publishers are included in the Top Publishers Ranking?
In order for a publisher to be considered for inclusion in this ranking, they must use the Podtrac measurement system for their shows, and Podtrac must have at least 30 days of data for the publisher. Podtrac measures podcasts from thousands of publishers, including most top publishers, and lists the 10 with the largest unique US monthly audience in its Top Publishers Ranking. Podtrac measurement is free to use by any publisher.
How does Podtrac define a podcast publisher?
For purposes of our publisher ranking, we define publishers as producers and publishers who create, own and distribute podcasts. Groups that do not produce content, such as ad and content networks, are not included in our ranking.
How does Podtrac define a podcast?
Podtrac adheres to the Wikipedia technical definition endorsed by the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB):
“A podcast is an episodic series of digital audio files which a user can download and listen to. It is often available for subscription, so that new episodes are automatically downloaded via web syndication to the user’s own local computer, mobile application, or portable media player.”
Podtrac makes no judgements based on non-technical factors such as content or episode length.
The November 2017 Top Podcast Publisher ranking was revised in January 2018.
Curious about which podcasts had the most listeners per episode in 2017?
Two end-of-year podcast rankings from Podtrac have the answers.
The Top 10 New Podcasts of 2017 is a ranking of podcasts which published their first episode in 2017. Our ranking is based on average unique US downloads per episode across all sources and listening devices.
The Top 20 Podcasts of 2017 ranking is based on average unique US downloads per episode across all sources and listening devices for podcast episodes published in 2017.